Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pantry Challenge Day 4 - Soup and Sammies

Last night I was out mucking stalls, so we were on our own for dinner. Leftovers!

Tonight's is the third meal created from only what could be found in my pantry, fridge, or freezer. It has been almost 10 days since I shopped for groceries and that day was mostly with our New Year's Eve party in mind. We ended up with quite a few leftovers from the party and I made use of some of those tonight.

Paul teaches on Wednesday nights so I'm solo for dinner. Tonight's fare is very simple , but it was healthy, filling, and satisfying.

First is a simple tomato bisque made from Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed or Diced tomatoes. If you have never used these canned tomatoes, you really need to try them. They are a bit more expensive than say, your store brand, but man oh man - they are so worth it!




For the soup, all you need is a can of tomatoes (size depends on how much you want to make), a clove of garlic (or some garlic granules), a pinch or two of italian seasoning, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, and some soy creamer or soy milk. Use as much or as little milk/creamer as it takes to make the consistency you prefer. Throw everything into a blender, process until smooth, then heat. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.

For the grilled cheeze, I sliced some leftover cheez log, spread it on homemade bread, and grilled it with a little Earth Balance. I'll do a bread post sometime soon - I've been making homemade bread for over 30 years!

And there you have it! Dinner in 10 minutes! Comfort food, even. I mean, who doesn't love tomato soup and grilled cheese?







They're calling for snow tonight - 4-6 inches. Brrrrr!!! Is it SPRING yet??

No comments:

Post a Comment