Sunday, January 9, 2011

What in the World Does a Vegan Eat, Part I

I've been noticing that most of my readers, at least the ones I get comments from, are non-vegans. Some of you are loyal friends and family, supporting my blogging efforts because you love me, some are health-conscious omnis looking for healthy recipes or who are at least considering the vegan leap, and others are confounded carnivores who just can't figure out why in the world somebody would give up Big Macs and ribeyes for tofu and seitan. So, the idea came to me this morning as I was chopping salad and making seitan for the week that it would be fun to document everything I eat this week. Break it down to how we eat on a daily, meal-by-meal basis.

I am writing this on Sunday, so I hav
e already missed photographing my breakfast and lunch, but that's okay - they are easily described. My breakfast this morning was two slices of cold pizza leftover from game night last night. It was topped with onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, Field Roast vegan sausage, and Daiya vegan cheese. I will admit that I used pre-made whole wheat organic pizza crusts from Whole Foods. No matter - the pizza was yummy last night and even better cold this morning! Reminded me of my college days......

Lunch was a big ol' salad of mixed baby greens and cucumbers, toasted almonds, flax seeds, and creamy tahini salad dressing. I'll be eating more of this salad later in the week, so I'll take pictures then.

Sunday evening I've already deviated from the plan. I just can't help myself - cooking is my creative outlet! I decided to try a new seitan recipe just for grins. There was a big pot of simmering broth left after I made the seitan and of course I had to use it to make soup!

I added some chopped celery and carrots, some delight soy popcorn chik'n, and 1/2 a package of linguine, broken into thirds, to the leftover broth. That sim
mered for half an hour or so and we had chik'n noodle soup for supper! Once again, the photo will have to wait....

Monday breakfast Had my normal breakfast of toast and smoothie. Toast is nothing exciting to photograph - a couple slices of organic whole wheat bread with some Earth Balance. My smoothie has mango, banana, and collard greens. Paul's breakfast is always a Clif bar and his smoothie.



Monday lunch Had my salad finished before I remembered to take a picture, but here is the Chik'n Noodle Soup I had for lunch today. Paul's lunch today was leftover Creamy Lasagna Casserole that I made on Saturday.



Monday dinner I stuck to the script tonight for dinner. I made my version of VeganDad's Cajun Chickpeas. I ate mine wrapped in whole wheat lavash with a little vegenaise. (The lavash didn't make the photo....) and pan roasted brussels sprouts.



Paul had his on top of some of that yummy salad I made Sunday, along with some raw organic cashews.



I probably won't be posting tomorrow night because it is a Spin night and we won't get home til late. I'll post Tuesday's meals along with Wednesday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment