Thursday, January 13, 2011

What in the World Does a Vegan Eat, Part II,

Well, this might not have been the best week to post my daily diet, but I did warn you that there are almost always curve balls / changes in the plan during the week, and this week is a perfect example. The only thing that isn't likely to change is breakfast, which is almost always toast and smoothie.

Sorry that there are no photos this post. That's a first for me. I tried, I really did. As you will read later in the post, my camera phone died just as I was snapping a picture and then the pictures I took of the Curried Red Lentils just looked gross. I could be more descriptive about just how nasty the pictures looked, but I'll spare you...... If you saw the photos, you'd never make the recipe! I promise to come up with some better shots next time I make them.

Tuesday night was Spin, so dinner was a quick peanut butter and - are you ready for this - cranberry chutney sandwich. Yep. I was out of any kind of jam or jelly, so cranberry chutney it was. And yes, it was YUMMY!

Wednesday was a crazy. It was one of those days at work and I had a doctor's appointment in the middle of the day. I ended up having a veggie sub from Subway with some chips on my way back from my appointment. That was so not worth a picture.

I was too tired to even heat up leftovers, so my ever-so-thoughtful husband took me to my current favorite eatery, Bluegrass Brewing Company for dinner. I always have the same thing - a spinach/walnut burger with homemade chips and cabbage slaw. Oh, and a Raspberry Mead. That burger is definitely photo-worthy, but just as I snapped the picture with my phone's camera, my iPhone died! Really, it did. Yesterday was a hard day.

Today (Thursday) was a bit tamer. Standard breakfast. Lunch was leftovers - Creamy Lasagna Casserole. The longer that stuff sets in the fridge, the better it tastes. Seriously good.

And dinner tonight was Curried Lentils over basmati rice. This is a very quick and easy meal. It's another one that tastes better as leftovers.

Tomorrow's lunches will be leftovers - there are several choices in the fridge. Noodle Soup, the casserole, or tonight's lentils. Paul will have to take both his lunch and dinner with him in the morning since he has Pageant rehearsal tomorrow evening and won't be home til late. While he's gone, I'll get the grocery shopping done for next week, make Wesley's dog food, and update you on what we ate.

Here is the Curried Red Lentils recipe. Like I said, quick, easy, yummy!

1 cup red lentils
1 tbs olive oil
2 veggie bullion cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tbs curry powder
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs cilantro
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
water to cover lentils

Rinse and sort lentils.

In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and fry until they pop. Add onion, curry powder, chili powder, and cayenne. Cook until onion is translucent.

Add lentils. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Serve as is or over rice.


1 comment:

  1. The soup sounds delish! I love reading your blog - thanks for doing it.
    You and Paul are so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete