Thursday, October 28, 2010

Good-bye, sweet Winston

Winston LeRoi Jones
6-24-98 - 10-27-10

We are heart-broken to loose our sweet boy, Winston. He brought us so much joy. He was a bright light and we miss him terribly.



When I fell sleep last night I didn’t know

That you would leave today.

You went so quickly and I’m left here

With all these things around me


That remind me that you are gone

And I don’t know what to do.


Your dinner bowl sits there

By the big green water bowl.

It still has speckles of your breakfast

And I can’t bear to wash it.


So your papa does it

And I can hear him crying.


Your toys are still in the basket

But I know you won’t mind

If I leave them there for

Your brother to use.


Your bed has a clean blanket because

I couldn’t stand to leave it empty.


Your papa cries again

This time because he found

Your brand new dog tag

Lying on his desk.


How will I sleep tonight

Without you curled into my belly?


Who will sit and give me the

Silent Stare that says “Let me out,”

But what it really means is

“Go get me a treat”?


Your brother doesn’t stand

At the door and bark like you do.


And I know I really need

To clean the blood spots off

The top stair but I don’t want to

Because it feels like


I am washing you away,

Sweet boy.


These tears keep on coming

Falling, rolling, pouring now.

They don’t wash away the hurt.

I knew that you would be leaving soon


But when I went to sleep last night

I didn’t dream it would be today.

No comments:

Post a Comment