Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lentil-Spinach Pasta and NO MORE SNOW!!

More snow coming. 6-10 inches, depending on which forecaster you listen to. I guess I shouldn't whine. We've had less than a foot here in Kentucky. My daughter still has more than 30 inches in the DC area. But I just need to say I AM SICK OF SNOW AND COLD!! Okay. I feel better - for now.

I am still debating whether or not to post a picture of this dish. Not one of them came out looking the least bit appetizing. But I promise, this dish was yummy. And really quick to put together. I made it twice this week, it was so tasty. Once even for company! So after I tell you that and post the recipe, maybe I'll include the photo at the very end.

Shout out to Linda, Mark, and Alana! We had fun, guys!

Lentil-Spinach Pasta

1 large onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tbs olive oil
1 cup red lentils
3 cups water
2 veggie bullion cubes
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
3 tbs tomato paste
28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1-lb bag frozen chopped spinach
pinch of ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste


Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil. Cook onion, mushrooms, and garlic until onion is soft.

Add water and bring to a boil. Add red lentils, return to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes and spinach. Add bullion cubes and a pinch of nut
meg. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes.

Serve over your choice of pasta with some Parma or your favorite parmesan substitute.

This was the least bad of the photos......

No comments:

Post a Comment