Monday, February 1, 2010

Beefy Seitan and a Cheeze "Steak" Sammich

I'm going to have to stop calling my posts part of the pantry challenge. For all practical purposes, the challenge is over, although there are still many unused items left in my pantry. I am starting to have to buy more and more things at the grocery to be able to use those items and still produce balanced meals! That doesn't mean I am not still being frugal. It just means I don't feel like I can honestly call it a true pantry challenge any longer. Either way, I'm impressed at how far we got with it!

This weekend I made some really tasty beef-style seitan. I do n
ot remember where this recipe came from - it is one of those recipes that's been hanging around in one of my binders for ages and I just now got around to making it. I knew I wanted something rich and savory that I could slice up for "steak" sandwiches and fajitas, as well as a Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff.

BEEFY SEITAN

Seitan
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vital gluten
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups warm vegetable broth
2 tsp Marmite
2 tbs tahini
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp Liquid Smoke
2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Cooking broth
vegetable broth - if simmering on top of stove you will need 6-8 cups; if baking, 4 cups
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup tomato juice or V-8
2 tbs Marmite
1 tbs Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 to 1 tbs Liquid Smoke

If using the stovetop method, combine the broth ingredients and bring them to boil in a large pot over medium heat.

If baking, preheat oven to 325.


Saute onions and garlic until onion is translucent.

In a bowl, mix seitan ingredients. Add onion/garlic mixture and stir to combine well. You can use a food processor, but I prefer to use my hands. Mix until a soft dough is formed and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for a few minutes.

Divide gluten into a dozen or so "steaks" and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.

If using the stovetop method, slide "steaks" into the simmering broth, cover, and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Do not boil.


If using the oven method, place "steaks" into a casserole dish and pour the broth over them. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.

Save any leftover cooking broth. This makes a killer "au jus" for "roast beef" sandwiches or can be used as a gravy base.


Here is a delicious toasted cheeze "steak" sandwich with onions, peppers, and mushrooms on a homemade crusty French roll. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment